Friday, July 19, 2013

Train Table Update

A couple of years ago all that my oldest son wanted for Christmas was a train table. We searched and searched until we found one that we knew he'd absolutely love. That Christmas morning and many more days to follow, those train tracks and trains were heard chugging from all around the house.  The boys would love to set up the track into different routes and have fun playing for hours.

As this summer began, I started to notice that the train table had been abandoned for quite some time. I couldn't help but wonder if it was out of boredom or if it was just the fact that maybe my oldest had outgrown the fun of a train table (which I was hoping was not the case...watching your kids outgrow things is always a little bittersweet).

After giving them some hints about the trains really missing them and there still being a lack of play on it, I decided that I would flip the top over and have the kids use it as a table for whatever they'd like. I let them know that I'd be happy to turn it back over when they were ready to play with the trains again. After turning it over, I noticed that they would run their play cars back and forth on that table over and over. Why they wouldn't do it when it was on the train side, I have NO idea.

The boys had some fun with their cars on the table and it got me to thinking that it wouldn't be too hard to make them their own "city". We got out the paint and got right to work. The boys helped by letting me know what they wanted in their city and what they wanted to name it. They've definitely already worn some tracks on the back side now too as they've been loving driving their cars around their own city! Here's how it turned out:

Now I'm enjoying the sounds of cars racing around the track and still hoping that they'll be ready to go back and play with the trains soon too.

No comments:

Post a Comment