Monday, July 2, 2012

Chore & Responsibility Board

Once the summer began, it quickly became apparent that we needed to come up with a more adequate way of getting things done around the house (and in some cases making sure certain things weren't getting done as well...we'll get to that in a minute).

I began looking for different ideas and everwhere I went had ideas that I really liked, but nothing that included everything that I was looking for. A fully functional board was what I was looking for, something that my kids could see their responsiblities for the day, see activities that we could do for the day, plus somewhere for the children to track when they were doing things that they shouldn't be doing.



I'm going to get to the supply list here in just a second, but I do have to let you know that I didn't pay a single extra penny on this project. I was able to use items that I already had around the house, which made this project even better! So here's what you'll need (and you can always improvise if you have other items that may work just as well or better for you):
  • A board (I was able to use mine from this cabinet board)
  • Scrapbook paper
  • Mod Podge
  • Printer
  • Clothespins
  • Small Envelopes
  • Straws
  • Chalkboard Paint
  • Paint color of your choice (for board backing)
  • Scrapbook Stickers (Optional)
  • Clear Contact Paper (Optional)

I started by simply painting the board the color that I'd like to match the area in our house that I would be displaying the board. While the board was drying, I began working on the rules that I wanted to place on the outside of the board. I made different rules in different fonts and then printed them on different sheets of scrapbook paper. Once the board was completely dry, the rules were mod podged around the outside edges of the board to make
for a cute trim.

The next step was to figure out the design I'd wanted the chalkboard to be in, so I simply cut a trim sheet of paper with the design I'd wanted, taped it down and began painting the chalkboard paint onto the board.

While the chalkboard paint dried I began to use scrapbook paper to cover the tops of the clothespins, for a more colorful design. I also began to work on what chores I'd want for each child. As I was working on this I realized quickly that my youngest child may have a hard time determining what his chores were for the day, since he's not quite at the reading age yet. From there, I decided that I'd follow each chore description with clip art that would be able for my child to determine. Once the clip art was added to the ends of the chores, I printed and covered each chore in the clear contact paper, to make sure that the board would hold up for as long as we'd wanted it to.

From there I was able to start putting all of the items on the board, by hot gluing the clothespins on, and mod podging most all of the rest, including the envelopes. We finished by cutting colorful straw to fit in the envelopes.

So now I can let you know how it is fully functional for our household:
 
  • Each morning my children are each assigned 5 different chores for the day (I pick 3 from their pile, they pick 2) We have each child's list of chores hanging on the side from a clip.
  • There are different rewards for each day if they complete their tasks (For example, if they complete 3 of their chores, they may receive a sticker. If they complete 5, they may be able to go out for an evening swim.) All of these rewards are written on the board and talked about first thing in the morning.
  • We have 3 different envelopes (One is the straw storage envelope, the next is the "Uh-Oh's", and the final is the Rewards envelope.) When the kids do something that they shouldn't be doing, they get an "Uh-Oh" straw and follow the board accordingly for what each "Uh-Oh" straw you get means. For each chore they complete, they get to place it in their reward envelope and follow the reward board accordingly.
This is how we determine what happens after they get a certain number of "Uh-Oh" straws
Ever since we finished this board, my kids have been so extatic to do their chores and they are very adiment that they will not be getting an "Uh-Oh" straw. Needless to say, this board has been a huge blessing on the kids both being home all day together! We hope that this will help simplify some things for more of you as it has for us! Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment