Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Kitty Litter Hideaway

A kitty litter box isn't exactly the most appealing thing you see when you walk into a room. That's why I've been trying to figure out a better way to store it for quite some time. After checking out several different options of keeping the kitty litter box a bit more hidden, my husband and I came to a quick conclusion that coming up with our own project would be the cheapest way to go.
My mother-in-law has had this piece of furniture stored away for years and was quick to let me know I could do what I'd like with it. I'm kicking myself now that I realized I'd forgotten to take a "before" picture, so you could really see the transformation. It was a bright royal blue color with outdated knobs and handles. (You'll also be able to see the original color on the picture showing the inside of the cabinet.)



I simply painted it to match our laundry room and refinished the knobs to also match. After painting, the final touch was simply cutting out the hole for the cats to enter. After sawing down the corners, we realized it was still a bit sharp and didn't want to take a chance on hurting the cats, so we simply cut pool noodles to fit the hole.


It's been great and the cats absolutely love it! The best part???...It's SO simple to clean the litter box!!

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE this idea! My biggest problem is the litter coming out of the box when they step out. Do you have to clean outside for stray kitty litter?

    ReplyDelete