I spent some time thinking about what I wanted others to place in the jar and came up with somewhat of a questionnaire. Here are some examples of questions that it listed:
- What is your first memory of me?
- What is a special memory you have of my first year?
- Do you have any nicknames for me?
- What do you think I will be when I grow up?
- What do I (or will I) call you?
Decorating the jar, was really quite fun as I painted it to reflect the fun nature of my son. We made it appear as a time capsule, including the date that he would be able to open it (17 years after sealing it).
The day of the party the jar began to fill up quickly and for our guests that were unable to attend, we'd received them back in the mail with birthday cards they'd sent. My second son came along and we did the birthday jar for him as well. We look forward to giving them this surprise on their 18th birthday and watching their faces as they read what their loved ones have said to them.