Monday, February 6, 2012

The Handy Dandy Magnet/Chalkboard

I'm always finding my kitchen with piles of papers and random items that I need to work on, but just haven't gotten around to yet. Just looking at the piles tends to give me an immediate overwhelming feeling as I walk into the kitchen and I'd decided that I'd had enough of the overwhelmingness.


Although it's not quite spring yet, spring cleaning has begun around my household, which made me stumble upon a pile of old baking sheets that I no longer use. Crafts are a pretty normal occurrence around the house, so I knew that I should be able to come up with something to do with the baking sheet with the items we already had around.


So, here's we used:
  • Old baking sheet (of course you could use a new one too, but if you have one that you're not using, that's even better. You can purchase a new one for right around $3.)
  • Chalkboard Paint
  • Scrapbook Paper
  • Mod Podge
We simply began by painting the base of the baking sheet with the chalkboard paint. Our baking sheet had a stick resistance, so it was a little tricky to get the paint to want to stick. Once you begin to paint, you will see that the paint me try to begin streaking, continue to use thicker coats of paint to cover the streaks. Let dry, follow with another coat to cover any inconsistencies.

Once the paint is all dry, you're ready to start the gluing on the scrapbook paper around the edges using the mod podge. You'll have to measure your strips first to make sure that you've got enough to cover all sides. With the corner pieces, we simply used a small triangular piece to cover the corners and then wrapped around the edge, towards the bottom of the tray.

It's that EASY! We finished by using velcro strips on the inside of our cabinet door and sticking the sheet (now board) onto the door...and voilĂ ....your kitchen piles are GONE!

No comments:

Post a Comment